Sunday, April 29, 2012

Musical Education

In the past few months I've been playing much more guitar than usual, and I've starting re-exploring keys for their full potential rather than just playing the same tunes I know and love. I've loved playing music that feels complete on its own, unlike violin, which, for the most part, can play only melody.

Problem is, I'm not particularly apt at either of these instruments.

But I also don't have the time or tenacity to learn these instruments the same way I learned violin, with intensive focus on technique and perfection before learning a new song or a new technical "trick." I've begun choosing songs that I really love that require just a little something new--a new rhythm, or a new chord--and then learning that particular skill while learning the song itself. It's been wonderfully rewarding, with the accomplishment of learning a new song coming part and parcel to whatever new skill it required. So I've decided to challenge myself to learn a new song each week, not with the intent of perfecting it, but of...conquering it, if you will. I'm certain to get better, not just because of what I'll need to learn along the way, but simply because I'll be driven to practice for the sake of a new musical achievement.

I'm sure it will begin with a LOT of pretty horrible, mangled songs, but I'm hoping it will push me to get just a bit better each week. And if nothing else, hey, at least I'll be able to expand the repertoire a bit.

No comments: